Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lancaster, PA

Had a great ride into Lancaster, PA. Stayed with a friend of my aunt's (Elizabeth Koch) in Mannheim, PA in her 100 year old house. Went over to the monastery to visit with my Aunt Geri (aka, Sister Maria Joseph. Had not seen her in 25 years and the two and 1/2 hours flew by.

Temp was still 89 last night @ 9:30 pm, ugh. Got on the road this am by 6:30 and had a flat right off the bat. Then headed for back country roads to get my mileage (almost EVERYTHING is paved). During my 57 mile morning, I saw the most beautiful scenery of the entire trip across the country.

Many, many Amish farms with the most kept homes and barnyards I have ever laid eyes on. The flowers were unbelievable, and were planted alongside every stone barn, house, and out building. The children were dressed nicely in their hats and braids and were either picking in field, loading up in buggies, or doing various chores. The dairy cows were lovely, with big doe eyes and buck coats. Crops of tobacco, corn, peppers, tomatoes, peaches, apples, and alfalfa were visible on either side of the twisting, hills roads.

Later we got into horse country and the magnitude of the horse farms were overwhelming. I rode for miles just to get around the outskirts of Iron Spring Horse Farm, whose barns peppered the double split-rail fenced pastures.

With my mileage from Lancaster to Chester,PA finished, Gracie and I headed for the cradle of liberty. In all the time I lived in NJ, I had never ventured into Philly. The Old City Hall and the Liberty Bell were fascinating. Did not have tickets to go into Independence Hall, but walked around the historic district and the Seaport Areas.

Exhausted we headed for the nearest Pizza place and campground. We found them both near Camden, NJ. Tomorrow we will head back to the starting point (PA) so I can ride the miles into Jersey. It's what I have been working almost 3 weeks toward. To date I have 1,225 miles, and sadly I do not think I will reach my goal of 1500 miles. I will try to get another 100 miles on before Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment